3.17.2008

Enter normal baby

For five very long months we have been juggling an extremely fussy baby.  And by fussy I mean: a crying/whimpering almost 24 hours a day baby; a baby needing to be rocked or bounced or walked all of the time; a non-sleeping (unless it is in 30 minute intervals) baby.  My patience has been stretched beyond it's limits and my exhaustion has exceeded what I thought was humanly possible.  I have cried and thought as I've slumped into bed, "I can not do this anymore, I can't face tomorrow."  I have also felt so helpless trying to soothe my beautiful little Nora who has been in so much pain.

Now, before I complain too much, I have to admit it hasn't been all bad.  Nora has had good days and has made progress over time, slowly becoming more and more happy and comfortable.  She has smiled and even giggled when she's feeling good and is such a little cuddle bug, I can't get enough of her.  Unfortunately, these times were only glimmers of hope and were few and far between.  She would always revert back to fussiness . . .  



. . .until we started feeding her solid food.  About two days after her first bowl of rice cereal (that glorious stuff; nectar from the gods), she turned into a completely different baby.  She is calm and happy all of the time.  She has started taking hour-long naps (hallelujah!!).  I've even had people comment on what a good baby she is (if they only knew!).  I will never be able to explain how ecstatic (and relieved) I feel.  This is the Nora I always knew was there, and now she has come to stay.  My sweet, wonderful, normal baby girl.  I am also grateful every day for a generous Heavenly Father who has answered many, many prayers and brought relief to two of His daughters.  I know it's not just the rice cereal at work here.

6 comments:

Megan said...

yay for happy baby nora! we'll take her however we can get her, but i'm excited for you. it was good to see you guys this last weekend. keep posting because doc says i have to have my feet above my head for 8 hours a day now ... BORING!

sarawhat said...

ahhhhh Sarah. I totally feel you. I went through this with Hallie. I'm so sorry it's been such a rough 5 months! I had no idea! She is so cute, I can't wait to meet her in person. I know you said she's doing a lot better now....but I did a lot of reading (as I'm sure you did) and question asking of A LOT of people with Hallie. Call me if you think I can help at all! And I have to refer you to my favorite book: Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child. Call me if you need anything! GLad that everything is going so much better.

Emily said...

Our first daughter was just like that, but add puking all day long to the equation. Addison (our second) was having a couple of ruff and fussy weeks, but I took milk products out of my diet and she is doing a ton better. I just couldn't wait it out 5 more months for solid food. I'm just sacrificing my dailey bowl of cereal (and much more). It's worth it to have a happy baby.

hudd and anna said...

sarah- hudd and i are curious at how you are such a skilled blog person? please teach us how to do these things. that is all. p.s. we bought our tickets home, july 2nd, so let's have a 4th of july to remember.

A. Schoonie said...

A happy child is such a blessing:) Solid food is amazing! And prayer is a lifesaver...I do not know what I would do without it.
By the way I think you can still send your birth announcements out. It is kind of funny because you think you will have so much time as a mom to do all sorts of projects...yeah right...now I am thinking retirement years...maybe!!
Take Care - Ash

The Dyer family said...

I am so glad that she is not being so fussy for you anymore! She is absolutely adorable :) That's great that she loves solid foods, it took my son Colby a while to get used to it. Hope she keeps it up & keep enjoying your beautiful little girl!